Open Positions: Targeted Protein Degradation Platform Medicinal Chemistry Project Leader
Arvinas is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company leading the way in targeted protein degradation therapeutics. Arvinas is the first company to focus solely on protein degradation and its platform technology is the most advanced in the field. Since its founding in 2013, Arvinas’ PROTAC® Discovery Engine has been driving the most significant breakthroughs in the industry. Arvinas’ pipeline encompasses a range of validated and undruggable targets in oncology, immuno-oncology, and neuroscience. This includes three clinical-stage programs: bavdegalutamide (ARV-110) and ARV-766, which are being developed as potential treatments for men with late-line metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer, and ARV-471, which is being developed as a potential treatment for patients with breast cancer.
#TeamArvinas is made up of more than 350 passionate and curious employees, whose diverse thoughts and perspectives are highly valued. Arvinas employees embrace the freedom to pursue innovation, think creatively, and give back. They are driven by the company’s values and purpose – to improve the well-being of patients and families impacted by the devastating diseases Arvinas is working to treat. It’s an exciting time to be in drug development and it’s an exciting time to be at Arvinas. But don’t just take our word for it – here’s what Arvinas employees are saying. For more information, please visit www.arvinas.com.
Responsible for the effective management of projects in the Targeted Protein Degradation platform portfolio and prosecution of other proximity-induced approaches. Involves management of external chemistry CRO resources and interactions in an internal matrix team environment.
The position is in the reporting line of the VP, Medicinal Chemistry and will be located at our headquarters in New Haven, CT.
Key responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for the effective management of assigned Targeted Protein Degradation projects in line with the project goals and timelines within a team environment
- Responsible for identifying chemical matter pertaining to the molecular target of interest and its subsequent development in accordance with the project goals. Ability to interface effectively with the Biophysics and Hit-to-Lead teams is expected.
- Responsible for the molecular and synthetic design of ligands and other functionally relevant molecules using knowledge of medicinal chemistry and chemical biology and in conjunction with the internal state-of-the-art targeted protein degradation biology and computational chemistry resources to enable program advancement
- Requires dynamic interaction, including active feedback and problem troubleshooting, with external CRO resources to fulfill synthetic organic chemistry and ADME/ PK data needs
- Requires solicitation and analysis of necessary experiments and associated data, as well as strong scientific judgment to allow efficient decision making to advance projects
- Responsible for enabling smooth cross-collaboration with other functions in the technology platform and drug discovery organizations
- Requires hands-on laboratory proficiency in complex synthetic organic chemistry with the ability to reproduce existing and pioneer new chemistry methods, as well as troubleshoot and deliver recalcitrant key project molecules, if needed
- Responsible for regular research updates to the manager and company executives, as well as representation of company interests at scientific conferences and to external organizations as needed
- Requires superior knowledge of synthetic organic and medicinal chemistry Experience with chemical biology projects is a plus. Familiarity with the principles and approaches of targeted protein degradation is preferred
- Requires ability to manage a group of external CRO scientists
- Requires accountability for personal, as well as project team goals
- Requires orderly and timely maintenance of records of project plans and results in accordance with the company policy and legal requirements
- Requires ability to generate/ contribute to scientific publications and patents
- Requires adherence to safe working environment for self and others
- Requires strong communication skills and ability to serve as a champion of the technology platform, including presentations to external parties
- A successful candidate will have an enabling attitude, be a problem solver and have a desire to work in a collaborative environment across all functional areas
- PhD in organic or medicinal chemistry with 3-10 years of postdoctoral and/or pharma/biotech industrial drug discovery experience
Arvinas is proud to offer a competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, and much more. To learn more about Arvinas, please visit www.arvinas.com
Arvinas is an Equal Opportunity employer