Open Positions: Senior Research Scientist, Formulation R&D
Arvinas is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company leading the way in targeted protein degradation therapeutics. Arvinas is the first company to focus solely on protein degradation and its platform technology is the most advanced in the field. Since its founding in 2013, Arvinas’ PROTAC® Discovery Engine has been driving the most significant breakthroughs in the industry. Arvinas’ pipeline encompasses a range of validated and undruggable targets in oncology, immuno-oncology, and neuroscience. This includes two clinical-stage programs: ARV-110, which is being developed as a potential treatment for men with late-line metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer, and ARV-471, which is being developed as a potential treatment for patients with breast cancer.
#TeamArvinas is made up of more than 200 passionate and curious employees, whose diverse thoughts and perspectives are highly valued. Arvinas employees embrace the freedom to pursue innovation, think creatively, and give back. They are driven by the company’s values and purpose – to improve the well-being of patients and families impacted by the devastating diseases Arvinas is working to treat. It’s an exciting time to be in drug development and it’s an exciting time to be at Arvinas. But don’t just take our word for it – here’s what Arvinas employees are saying. For more information, please visit www.arvinas.com.
The Senior Research Scientist will serve as a core member of discovery and development teams to execute formulation strategy for lead optimization activities and identification/progression of Arvinas PROTAC® drug candidates. Working closely with in vivo, biology, and medicinal chemistry groups, the incumbent will enable discovery activities by designing formulations for BCS II/IV compounds that are used in pharmacology, pharmacokinetic, and toxicology studies. To achieve these goals, the Senior Research Scientist will personally undertake hands-on laboratory activities, and when necessary, identify external partners. They will support lead optimization activities by providing experimental and intellectual feedback regarding molecular properties and how they affect formulation options and developability.
Enabling delivery of beyond rule-of-five compounds is one of most active areas in formulation research today, opening many novel options for those scientists willing to engage the challenge. Arvinas leads the field of protein degradation – one of the newest areas in pharmaceutical research and development, and one with the potential to have profound impact on human health. The resulting combined problem statement represents a unique opportunity for scientists to establish the future paradigm for molecular design and delivery for this mode of therapeutic intervention.
This position reports to Executive Director, Formulation R&D and will be located at our headquarters in New Haven, CT.
Key responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Design fit-for-purpose oral and injectable formulations to enable exploratory and enabling animal studies.
- Through personal contribution and supervising others, work closely with in-life groups to develop, prepare, and troubleshoot formulations suitable for use in drug discovery pharmacology, pharmacokinetic, and toxicology studies.
- Design, carry out, and interpret preformulation studies on potential drug candidates, with the purpose of defining their physicochemical and biopharmaceutical properties relevant to oral and parenteral administration.
- Provide experimental/computational/predictive input to drug discovery scientists during screening of new chemical entities and enable drug design from lead optimization to the point of candidate identification, characterization, and selection.
- Drive strategic direction of the discovery support function to further its ability to act as a problem-solving resource for discovery teams.
- Advance the abilities of Arvinas to develop expertise in scientific areas that enable discovery of drugs, with particular attention to assessing and understanding the role of physicochemical properties in biopharmaceutical performance.
- Work closely with peers on project teams to seamlessly and expeditiously advance compounds through preclinical evaluation and into the clinic.
- Applying principals of physical chemistry, assist discovery scientists in designing in vitro assays by identifying and addressing problems related to molecular properties and performance (e.g., solubility, sorption phenomena, etc.)
- Maintain a state-of-the-art understanding of formulation/drug-delivery technologies and how they are best applied to identification and enablement of therapeutically-viable beyond rule-of-five compounds.
- PhD or MS in Pharmaceutical / Medicinal / Physical Chemistry
- 2-4 years of experience in industrial drug development is required.
- Hands-on, laboratory experience with formulation development of compounds in the preclinical space that are challenging with respect to solubility, permeability, lipophilicity, and ADME properties.
- Demonstrated experience applying formulation technologies and strategies for BSC II/IV compounds in a non-manufacturing environment.
- A clear understanding of the relationship between molecular properties (e.g., solid state characteristics, solubility, supersaturation, etc.) and formulation performance, design, selection, and troubleshooting.
- Demonstrated history in designing and preparing formulations administered to non-human subjects
- An understanding of basic medicinal chemistry and biopharmaceutical principles as they apply to drug discovery and development.
- A willingness to take on challenging problem statements and acquire/apply the skills necessary to address them.
- Ability to be proactive in identifying issues and hurdles that may hinder the effective implementation and/or progression of a study and resolve the issues in a timely and creative fashion.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and deliver on tight timelines.
- Appreciate the necessity of thinking innovatively and reduce such thinking to practical implementation enabling the discovery and development of new molecular entities.
- Experience in communicating/presenting complex information to scientists from other disciplines.
- Ability to multi-task and manage several projects in parallel, paying attention to detail.
- Ability to forge cross-functional working relationships with internal and external project partners.
- Good oral and written communications skills.
- Experience in using computers and databases for data collection, compilation, analysis, and information dissemination.
- Proficient with MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and HPLC systems.
Arvinas is proud to offer a competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness, and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision, and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, and much more. To learn more about Arvinas, please visit www.arvinas.com.
Arvinas is an Equal Opportunity Employer.