Open Positions: Research Scientist / Sr. Research Scientist Platform Biology (Cell Biology)
Arvinas is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing new small molecules ‒ known as PROTAC® (PROteolysis Targeting Chimera) protein degraders ‒ aimed at degrading disease-causing cellular proteins via proteolysis. Based on innovative research conducted at Yale University by Dr. Craig Crews, Founder and Chief Scientific Advisor, the company is translating natural protein degradation approaches into novel drugs for the treatment of cancer and other diseases. Our proprietary PROTAC®-based drug paradigm induces protein degradation, rather than protein inhibition, using the ubiquitin proteasome system and offers the advantage of potentially targeting “undruggable” as well as “druggable” elements of the proteome. This greatly expands the ability to create drugs for many new, previously unapproachable targets.
We are looking for a research scientist to join our cell biology team. As a research scientist, you will work as part of an integrated, highly motivated, matrixed team within Arvinas in Platform Biology. This MS/PhD-level position will be dedicated to conducting experiments to evaluate emerging PROTAC molecules in protein degradation. This position will use quantitative cell-based methods to characterize target engagement of compounds for transformation into PROTACs, and utilize cell-based degradation assays to profile PROTAC molecules. This position will provide the critical data necessary to drive programs towards targeted degradation. This is a committed bench scientist position and reports to the Research Investigator in our Platform Biology group and will be located at our headquarters in New Haven, CT.
Key responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Development and characterization of cell-based assay systems to query targeted protein degradation (stable cell line generation, molecular biology, Western blots, etc)
- Development and optimization of quantitative cell-based assays using a variety of readout technologies (e.g. BRET, NanoBRET, fluorescence, luminescence) in a medium/high-throughput (96/384-well) formats
- Leverage and think about principles behind multiple assay platforms for measuring target engagement in cells and apply them to the ubiquitin-proteasome system and to targeted protein degradation
- Partner with diverse project teams in complex scheduling of work and generation of data in support of drug discovery and development programs. Troubleshoot through technical and scientific challenges in order to deliver critical data.
- Apply excellent organizational and prioritization skills; analyze data using strong background in quantitative cell biological sciences.
- Organize experimental results to be shared with project teams; openly communicate with chemistry and biology; maintain clear experimental records.
- Innovative, independent, motivated and productive problem solver with excellent communication skills who works effectively in a team setting
- Strength in experimental design, execution, data analysis and leveraging multiple assay platforms to analyze target engagement and degradation
- Strong expertise in cell biology, biochemical drug discovery approaches and target engagement techniques
- Knowledge and understanding of the ubiquitin-proteasome system is a plus
- Proficiencey in aseptic tissue culture techniques and mammalian cell tissue culture is a must.
- Experience in design, QC and execution of medium- to high- throughput 96/384 well cell-based assay formats, such as ELISA, quantitative Western, High Content Imaging, Bioluminescent (nanoBRET) and/or fluorescence-based assays
- Prior experience with NanoBRET and ELISA assays is a plus
- Experience in utilizing compounds and molecular target manipulation (e.g. RNAi, CRISPR) to dissect target function and dependency
- Experience in molecular biology techniques: plasmid and cell line engineering, Western blots
- Experience in generating CRISPR/Cas9 KO cell lines is a plus
- Organized, goal-oriented and timeline-conscious
- Other Preferred Skills and Knowledge
- Maintaining clear experimental records
- Organize and clearly present experimental results to the project team(s)
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, Prism; data analysis using Spotfire would be a plus.
- A strong work ethic and willingness to learn drug discovery approaches and apply them in cell biology and other techniques, including biochemistry and biophysics, is a plus.
- M.S. /Ph.D., with 2+ years of pharma or biotech experience in cellular and molecular biology, cell-based assay development, pharmacology, or biochemistry. Focus on cancer cell biology and drug discovery strongly preferred.
Arvinas is proud to offer a competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness, and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision, and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, and much more. To learn more about Arvinas, please visit www.arvinas.com.
Arvinas is an Equal Opportunity Employer.