Open Positions: Research Scientist/ Senior Research Scientist, Platform Biology
Arvinas is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing new small molecules ‒ known as PROTAC® (PROteolysis Targeting Chimera) protein degraders ‒ aimed at degrading disease-causing cellular proteins via proteolysis. Based on innovative research conducted at Yale University by Dr. Craig Crews, Founder and Chief Scientific Advisor, the company is translating natural protein degradation approaches into novel drugs for the treatment of cancer and other diseases. Our proprietary PROTAC®-based drug paradigm induces protein degradation, rather than protein inhibition, using the ubiquitin proteasome system and offers the advantage of potentially targeting “undruggable” as well as “druggable” elements of the proteome. This greatly expands the ability to create drugs for many new, previously unapproachable targets.
This key position in our Platform Biology department will support therapeutic areas generating high quality support to build the next generation of PROTACS. The candidate will be expected to work with key stakeholders, in Biology and Chemistry to independently validate and run assays to support our understanding of the mechanism of action, cell-based activity and biophysical properties of our protein degraders. This position will work in the Platform Biology department and the role will be located at our headquarters in New Haven, CT.
Key responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Develop compound profiling assays using cell based, biochemical and bioanalytical methods to support efforts in developing structure-activity relationships that guide lead identification and optimization
- Develop degradation cell-based assays using a range of detection technologies including but not limited to high-content imaging measures to profile PROTACs
- Manage automated liquid handling and screening platforms and ensuring high-quality data is delivered in timely manner
- Provide leadership on automated assay platforms
- Rigorous validation of assays from project teams to ensure suitability for high-throughput bioassay and develop efficient data capture, reduction and reporting of key data pipelines
- Present statistically robust data and project plans in project team meetings
- Participate on cross-disciplinary, drug discovery project teams; integrate and evaluate the work of a drug discovery group to determine optimal solutions to discovery challenges
- Build strong alliances with external partners, focused on trust, collaboration, and timely/ high-quality delivery on shared objectives
- Demonstrated ability to develop and run cell-based and biochemical screens in an industry or academic core facility environment.
- Experienced with multiple assay types, including high-content screening and analysis
- A demonstrated ability to innovate and to advance new scientific and technology understanding
- Demonstrated success in working on a cross-disciplinary, drug discovery project team, integrating the work of multiple drug discovery groups / functions
- Innovative, motivated, researcher with strong problem solving and communication skills
- Extensive track record in developing and validating assays to profile compounds using mechanistic and functional readouts
- Broad scientific skillset with expertise in assay development of biochemical, bioanalytical and cell-based bioassays – additional primary cell-based assay experience in the drug discovery setting would be a significant advantage
- Ability to lead a team of lab scientists in development of technical expertise within a matrix environment
- Demonstrable skill at building productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders at all levels, ability to influence and seek innovative solutions to complex scientific and strategic challenges.
- Ph.D, with 3+ years of industry experience or equivalent in biomedical research, cell biology, pharmacology and enzymology required.
- Demonstrable expertise on cell based and biochemical using bench top automated screening a plus.
- In depth experience of bioassay data analysis for Structure -Activity support highly desirable.
- Strong relevant publication records desired.
Arvinas is proud to offer a competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness, and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision, and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, and much more. To learn more about Arvinas, please visit www.arvinas.com.
Arvinas is an Equal Opportunity Employer.