Open Positions: Senior Associate Scientist/ Research Scientist, Neuroscience and Platform Biology
Arvinas is a pharmaceutical company focused on developing new small molecules ‒ known as PROTACs (PROteolysis TArgeting Chimeras) ‒ aimed at degrading disease-causing cellular proteins via proteolysis. Based on innovative research conducted at Yale University by Dr. Craig Crews, Founder and Chief Scientific Advisor, the company is translating natural protein degradation approaches into novel drugs for the treatment of cancer and other diseases. The proprietary PROTAC-based drug paradigm induces protein degradation, rather than protein inhibition, using the ubiquitin proteasome system and offers the advantage of potentially targeting “undruggable” as well as “druggable” elements of the proteome. This greatly expands the ability to create drugs for many new, previously unapproachable targets. For more information, visit www.arvinas.com.
Join the rapidly growing team at Arvinas, the leader in developing therapeutic PROTAC-mediated protein degradation. This a hands-on role, where your focus will be to develop, implement and execute innovative in vitro assay approaches to investigate mechanisms of protein degradation. As one of the key hires for the company, you will work in a matrix environment to develop robust in vitro cellular assays to identify PROTAC- targeted degrader molecules primarily for our our neuroscience and platform biology teams, but your knowledge may also be utilized to assist our oncology and immunology groups. As an expert in plate based pharmacology, you will utilize high-content screening and target validation using RNAi, CRISPR and small molecule approaches. Our aim is to further understand the underlying principles of PROTACs and continue to evolve our protein degradation platform in areas of high unmet medical need including cancer and neurodegeneration.
This position is located at our headquarters in New Haven, CT.
Key responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Development of assays to assess pharmacology of compounds for structure activity relationships using mechanistic and functional assay approaches. These include medium to high-throughput readouts (High Content Image Analysis Quantification and Data reporting, ELISA, quantitative Western, High Content Imaging, Bioluminescent (nanoBRET) / Fluorescence assays, MSD or ELISA based formats, Wes or immunoblot and other quantitative protein measures and approached to understanding changes in cellular protein levels.
- Incumbent will also leverage other techniques to enable PROTAC discovery through determination of binding affinities, binding kinetics and protein-protein interactions as well as pathway analysis
- Apply excellent organizational and prioritization skills; demonstrate accomplished biologic and biochemical academic record with laboratory experience. Analyze data using strong background in quantitative sciences.
- Apply and train others to use quantitative informatics systems in a drug discovery environment for analysis of plate based pharmacology and high-content analysis using Columbus or related platform tools. Enable data visualization using Spot Fire and similar research applications. Apply data reporting skills to championing Core LIMS ELN for Biology.
- Partner with diverse project teams in complex scheduling of work and generation of data in support of drug discovery and development programs. Troubleshoot through technical and scientific challenges in order to deliver critical data.
- Organize experimental results to be shared with project teams; openly communicate with chemistry; maintain clear experimental records.
- B.S./ M.S with 5+ years or Ph.D. with 0-2 years of pharma- or biotech experience in cellular and molecular biology, pharmacology, biochemistry, assay development and screening with plate-based formats and high-content analysis. Focus on neuroscience and drug discovery preferred.
- Extensive cell culture experience required; experience differentiating iPSCs a plus.
- Immunohistochemistry experience highly desired.
- Experience with at least one of the following:
- Protein lysate preparation from cells and tissues, ELISA and/or Western blotting;
- High Content Imaging;
- in vitro gene expression manipulation using shRNA, siRNA, or CRISPR.
- Innovative, creative, inquisitive, motivated researcher with strong problem-solving skills and demonstrated ability to advance new scientific understanding
- Experience in the ubiquitin-proteasome system, or targeted protein degradation, a plus
- Manages time and balances work between bench and desk
Arvinas is proud to offer a competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness, and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision, and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, and much more. To learn more about Arvinas, please visit www.arvinas.com.
Arvinas is an Equal Opportunity Employer.