Open Positions: Research Scientist, Neurodegeneration
Arvinas is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing new small molecules ‒ known as PROTAC® (PROteolysis Targeting Chimera) protein degraders ‒ aimed at degrading disease-causing cellular proteins via proteolysis. Based on innovative research conducted at Yale University by Dr. Craig Crews, Founder and Chief Scientific Advisor, the company is translating natural protein degradation approaches into novel drugs for the treatment of cancer and other diseases. Our proprietary PROTAC®-based drug paradigm induces protein degradation, rather than protein inhibition, using the ubiquitin proteasome system and offers the advantage of potentially targeting “undruggable” as well as “druggable” elements of the proteome. This greatly expands the ability to create drugs for many new, previously unapproachable targets.
This highly motivated individual with a background in neurodegeneration will be responsible for the preclinical in vivo study support and evaluation. You will work in close collaboration with other scientists to ensure progression of PROTACs in our neurology portfolio. Your efforts will be essential for demonstrating target engagement and establishing PK-PD and will play a critical role in lead optimization, development candidate identification and evaluation of pharmacodynamic response in preclinical models. This position will report to the Senior Director, Neuroscience and will be located at our company headquarters in New Haven, CT.
Key responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- In vivo CNS expertise including characterization of transgenic rodent models of neurodegeneration including examination of ‘prion-like’ pathologic propagation, knowledge of stereotaxic surgical techniques, familiarity with histologic assessment and CNS neuroanatomy.
- Assessment of compound efficacy via immunocytochemical, biochemical and molecular biology techniques, such as immunostaining of tissue sections and immunoblotting
- Interaction and collaboration with biology and chemistry team members to contribute to understanding of pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic relationships.
- Analysis of experimental data, addressing methodological problems in experimental protocols and results
- Documentation, compilation, and interpretation of experimental data.
- Presentation of data in oral and written reports in a clear and concise manner to supervisor and project teams
- Management of laboratory notebook, databases and/or spreadsheets to compile and present results in a meaningful manner
- Keeping up-to-date on relevant scientific literature
- Proficiency in lab techniques and principles of in vivo pharmacology, histology, biochemistry and neurobiology
- Experience in assay validation, assay development and small molecule testing
- Understanding of neurodegenerative diseases and models
- Experience in the ubiquitin-proteasome system, or targeted protein degradation, a plus
- Ability to effectively prioritize efforts, manage time, and balance work between bench and desk is critical for success in this role.
- BS/MS degree in neurobiology or related discipline
- 8+ years Biotech/Pharma experience drug discovery experience required, significant industry experience in neuroscience preferred.
Arvinas is proud to offer a competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness, and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision, and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, and much more. To learn more about Arvinas, please visit www.arvinas.com.
Arvinas is an Equal Opportunity Employer.