Open Positions: Research Scientist, Neurodegeneration
Arvinas is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing new small molecules ‒ known as PROTAC® (PROteolysis Targeting Chimera) protein degraders ‒ aimed at degrading disease-causing cellular proteins via proteolysis. Based on innovative research conducted at Yale University by Dr. Craig Crews, Founder and Chief Scientific Advisor, the company is translating natural protein degradation approaches into novel drugs for the treatment of cancer and other diseases. Our proprietary PROTAC®-based drug paradigm induces protein degradation, rather than protein inhibition, using the ubiquitin proteasome system and offers the advantage of potentially targeting “undruggable” as well as “druggable” elements of the proteome. This greatly expands the ability to create drugs for many new, previously unapproachable targets.
This position is primarily laboratory-based and requires strong experimental skills, the ability to effectively partner with team members in order to deliver quality data, and the independence to design and implement novel experimental designs in support of drug discovery efforts. A background in cell biology, particularly with primary neuronal cultures, and experience in quantitative assay development, cell-based compound screening, biochemical assays, immunocytochemistry, and high-content imaging is a plus. This position reports to a Senior Research Investigator in the Biology department and will be located at our headquarters in New Haven, CT
Key responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Design and execute experiments, and perform data analysis
- Identify and characterize appropriate cell models (e.g. cell lines, primary neurons and iPSC-derived neurons)
- Utilize compounds and molecular manipulation (e.g. RNAi) to dissect target function and dependency
- Leverage multiple assay platforms to measure target engagement, pathway modulation and cell sensitivity in response to compounds or target modulation
- Design, QC, validate, and execute medium- to high- throughput 96/384 well assay formats, such as ELISA, quantitative Western, cell viability/death, etc.
- Experience in the biochemical and/or functional characterization of neurodegenerative protein species (e.g. tau, alpha-synuclein), is preferred
- Interact and collaborate with biology and chemistry team members to contribute to drug discovery and development program progression
- Coordinate with external groups (CROs or academic groups) when needed
- Presentation of data in oral and written reports in a clear and concise manner to supervisor and project teams
- Management of laboratory notebook, databases and/or spreadsheets to compile and present results in a meaningful manner
- Keeping up-to-date on relevant scientific literature
- Ph.D. in neuroscience or related discipline or B.S./ M.S with 7+ years of pharma- or biotech experience in cellular and molecular biology, pharmacology, biochemistry, assay development and screening with plate-based formats and high-content analysis.
- Focus on neurodegeneration, cell biology and drug discovery strongly preferred.
- Innovative, creative, inquisitive, motivated researcher with strong problem-solving skills and demonstrated ability to advance new scientific understanding
- Manages time and balances work between bench and desk
Arvinas is proud to offer a competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness, and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision, and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, and much more. To learn more about Arvinas, please visit www.arvinas.com.
Arvinas is an Equal Opportunity Employer.