Open Positions: Patent Paralegal
Arvinas is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing new small molecules ‒ known as PROTAC® (PROteolysis Targeting Chimera) protein degraders ‒ aimed at degrading disease-causing cellular proteins via proteolysis. Based on innovative research conducted at Yale University by Dr. Craig Crews, Founder and Chief Scientific Advisor, the company is translating natural protein degradation approaches into novel drugs for the treatment of cancer and other diseases. Our proprietary PROTAC®-based drug paradigm induces protein degradation, rather than protein inhibition, using the ubiquitin proteasome system and offers the advantage of potentially targeting “undruggable” as well as “druggable” elements of the proteome. This greatly expands the ability to create drugs for many new, previously unapproachable targets.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for the maintenance and administrative functions necessary to support the Arvinas intellectual property group. The candidate will enhance the effectiveness of the IP group by providing high-level, dedicated, administrative support, with appropriate discretion and maintenance of confidentiality. The candidate must be flexible, energetic and a self-starter, and be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
This position will be located at our headquarters in New Haven, CT.
- Maintain attorney dockets for US and foreign patent applications with specific attention to office action deadlines, generating docket reports, handling selected patent formalities (e.g., preparing and electronically filing information disclosure statements, assignments and declarations)
- Be highly organized with attention to detail, effectively helping in-house patent attorneys maintain their patent dockets, and communicating clearly and efficiently with attorneys, company executives and scientific staff.
- Support scientists during patent preparation and prosecution as needed.
- Maintain a positive, client-service mentality.
- Effectively assist patent attorneys in responding to Patent Office communications and outside counsel requests for instructions.
- Correspond with outside counsel and foreign associates.
- Perform other administrative tasks as needed.
- Self-motivated, passionate, self-starter.
- Requires a high level of professionalism.
- College degree (preferably a bachelor’s degree) in a scientific discipline and 5+ years of paralegal experience in both US and foreign patent prosecution in a life science technology or pharmaceutical field.
- Clear understanding of the patent prosecution process in the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) with 5+ years working under current USPTO rules and procedures.
- Understand the criticality of patent prosecution deadlines.
- Work effectively with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment.
- 5+ years of experience creating and maintaining patent files.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including MS Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access required; experience working with IP docketing software preferred.
- Experience with ChemDraw preferred.
- Public company experience preferred.
- Notary Public preferred.
Arvinas is proud to offer a competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness, and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision, and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, and much more. To learn more about Arvinas, please visit www.arvinas.com.
Arvinas is an Equal Opportunity Employer.