Open Positions: Medicinal Chemistry Project Leader
Arvinas is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to improving the lives of patients suffering from debilitating and life-threatening diseases through the discovery, development, and commercialization of therapies that degrade disease-causing proteins. Arvinas uses its proprietary PROTAC® Discovery Engine platform to engineer proteolysis targeting chimeras, or PROTAC® targeted protein degraders, that are designed to harness the body’s own natural protein disposal system to selectively and efficiently degrade and remove disease-causing proteins. In addition to its robust preclinical pipeline of PROTAC® protein degraders against validated and “undruggable” targets, the company has two clinical-stage programs: ARV-110 for the treatment of men with metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer; and ARV-471 for the treatment of patients with locally advanced or metastatic ER+/HER2- breast cancer. For more information, visit www.arvinas.com.
This position reports to the Director, Medicinal Chemistry and will be located at our headquarters in New Haven, CT.
- Responsible for the effective management of assigned therapeutic or platform PROTAC® projects in line with target project profiles and timelines within a team environment
- Requires the expeditious molecular and synthetic design of PROTACs and libraries in conjunction with state-of-the-art computational chemistry resources to enable program advancement
- Requires a dynamic interaction with external CRO resources to ensure synthetic and data needs are fulfilled according to agreed timelines and standards
- Requires solicitation and analysis of necessary experimentation/data to allow identification and prioritization of issues, and crisp-decision making within the project environment to meet company, project and personal goals and timelines
- Ensures that key program progression compounds and data are being generated and decision-making based on strong scientific judgment is occurring.
- Responsible for providing considered and focused input across all phases of drug discovery, smoothly collaborates with other functions in drug discovery, and exemplifies leadership, demanding excellence in performance at all levels
- As required to meet goals, personally executes on synthetic routes to pioneer chemistry and address recalcitrant key project molecules and intermediates
- Provides transparent and coherent and focused updates to manager and company executives on request and represents company interests at conferences and in scientific matters to external organizations as needed
Functional Knowledge and Skills
- Extensive knowledge of synthetic and medicinal chemistry-related scientific and technological principles to design and execute drug-discovery experiments on a project basis
- Manages time and balances work between bench and desk; completes tasks in timely manner
- Manages a group of external scientists
- Maintains accountability for ensuring own goals, those of any direct reports, project team goals, project and company objectives are achieved
- Represents research/project team at high level meetings within the company
- Maintains orderly and timely record of project plans and results in accordance with company policy and legal requirements
- Makes broad scientific contributions that have a positive impact on the research direction of the company
- Writes procedures/protocols and professional/technical reports and writes scientific articles, publications and patents
- Represents the company effectively in scientific matters to external organizations
- Maintains safe working environment for self and others
- A PhD synthetic/medicinal chemist with 4-10 years of pharma/biotech-based drug discovery experience, with a track-record of leading/contributing to research projects towards IND-track nomination
- A track record of creative contributions to drug design, especially structure-based design, optimizing pharmaceutical & DMPK properties and making critical scientific contributions at the project team level as a chemistry and/or project leader
- A strong patent and publication record evidencing scientific curiosity and strong communication skills
- Proficiency with database mining, graphing and interpretation
- A successful candidate will have an enabling attitude, be a problem solver and have a desire to work in a collaborative manner across all the functional areas
Arvinas is proud to offer a competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness, and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision, and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, and much more. To learn more about Arvinas, please visit www.arvinas.com.
Arvinas is an Equal Opportunity Employer.