Open Positions: Director, Corporate Counsel
Arvinas is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company leading the way in targeted protein degradation therapeutics. Arvinas is the first company to focus solely on protein degradation and its platform technology is the most advanced in the field. Since its founding in 2013, Arvinas’ PROTAC® Discovery Engine has been driving the most significant breakthroughs in the industry. Arvinas’ pipeline encompasses a range of validated and undruggable targets in oncology, immuno-oncology, and neuroscience. This includes three clinical-stage programs: bavdegalutamide (ARV-110) and ARV-766, which are being developed as potential treatments for men with late-line metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer, and ARV-471, which is being developed as a potential treatment for patients with breast cancer.
#TeamArvinas is made up of more than 350 passionate and curious employees, whose diverse thoughts and perspectives are highly valued. Arvinas employees embrace the freedom to pursue innovation, think creatively, and give back. They are driven by the company’s values and purpose – to improve the well-being of patients and families impacted by the devastating diseases Arvinas is working to treat. It’s an exciting time to be in drug development and it’s an exciting time to be at Arvinas. But don’t just take our word for it – here’s what Arvinas employees are saying. For more information, please visit www.arvinas.com.
This new role is an exciting opportunity to be an important part of a growing legal team. The Corporate Counsel is responsible for providing pragmatic, business-minded legal advice and solutions across the business. This position will report to the General Counsel, and will be located at our headquarters in New Haven, CT.
Key responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Provide legal advice, counsel and support to the business on a broad range of matters, including corporate governance, securities, employment law and employee benefit, business development, real estate and contract matters.
- Prepare presentations assessing legal issues for executives and key stakeholders; provide legal training across the business.
- Assist with securities law compliance and reporting obligations, including registration statements, 10-K/Qs, 8-Ks, Section 16 filings, proxy statement and annual meeting process.
- Assist with strategic transactions, including capital markets and business development activities.
- Assist with corporate governance matters.
- Provide advice and guidance to the Finance and Human Resources teams related to equity incentive programs, insider trading policies and procedures, and other matters.
- Conduct internal investigations, manage any employment litigation and provide general litigation support.
- Assist with materials for the board of directors and its committees, including drafting resolutions and minutes.
- Assist the General Counsel on other legal projects as needed.
- Consistently prioritize significant workload based on business needs and communicate this prioritization.
- Build strong cross-functional relationships with colleagues across functions to create efficient and effective processes.
- Identify and analyze global legal, business and reputational risks to the company and consult with the legal team to develop appropriate solutions.
- Perform analysis on legal rights, obligations, and strategies, to help Arvinas achieve its goals and objectives.
- Manage legal resources internally, directly and/or indirectly, and externally to complete projects in a timely and high quality manner.
- Proactively coordinate with the legal team to contribute to and to stay informed of applicable global laws and regulations.
- Lead assigned cross-functional legal initiatives and serve as lead lawyer on cross-functional teams.
- Creatively solve for the legal needs of Arvinas by working collaboratively to help develop new ways of working, new processes, process improvements, tools and training and metric based systems to demonstrate performance improvements.
- Demonstrate a service-oriented approach to advising internal client groups.
- Contribute to cultivating a company culture that reflects a strong commitment to the Arvinas values.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate concisely to clients and senior management, integrate legal and business knowledge, and provide clear and balanced advice regarding risks.
- Results driven and customer service focused.
- Capable of working independently and able to understand and incorporate legal guidance into work product.
- Must have high integrity, ability to assess risk, ability to make decisions and think strategically while applying knowledge of applicable legal issues.
- Strong negotiation skills, ability to network across functions.
- Have an interest in piloting new approaches to improve legal services in a risk appropriate way.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple matters simultaneously and to respond to rapidly shifting priorities in ambiguous or challenging situations.
- Self-motivated, strong leadership, technical knowledge, business acumen, and excellent communication skills.
- Sound conflict resolution skills and ability to work in a collaborative, global environment;
- Effective decision making; proven ability to assess and calibrate and effectively communicate legal risks to senior management and others.
- Organized, responsible, detail-oriented and proactive.
- Creative, thoughtful and practical problem-solving skills.
- Listens to internal client needs and communicates with clients with confidence and diplomacy.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills and business judgment are required.
- Strong drafting and communication skills, and an ability to maintain a high level of attention to detail without losing sight of the big picture.
- Accountability and the ability to take ownership of an issue and provide concise and timely advice.
- Willingness to pitch-in and help on legal projects across the organization.
- Commitment to client service, finding solutions, relationship building, continued learning, proactivity and confidentiality.
- J.D. from an accredited law school; admitted into practice and in good standing;
- Minimum of 5 years in a law firm or in-house counsel role or similar experience.
Arvinas is proud to offer a competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, and much more. To learn more about Arvinas, please visit www.arvinas.com
Arvinas is an Equal Opportunity employer