Open Positions: Associate DEL Synthetic Chemist
Arvinas is a pharmaceutical company focused on developing new small molecules ‒ known as PROTACs (PROteolysis TArgeting Chimeras) ‒ aimed at degrading disease-causing cellular proteins via proteolysis. Based on innovative research conducted at Yale University by Dr. Craig Crews, Founder and Chief Scientific Advisor, the company is translating natural protein degradation approaches into novel drugs for the treatment of cancer and other diseases. The proprietary PROTAC-based drug paradigm induces protein degradation, rather than protein inhibition, using the ubiquitin proteasome system and offers the advantage of potentially targeting “undruggable” as well as “druggable” elements of the proteome. This greatly expands the ability to create drugs for many new, previously unapproachable targets. For more information, visit www.arvinas.com.
This chemist will work in a multidisplined team environment to design, synthesis, and screen DNA Encoded Libraries (DEL’s). The employee will validate the reagents and chemistries for library synthesis, carry out DNA ligation tagging steps, and make the full DEL’s. This individual will also be responsible for reaction analysis, library QC, data recording and reporting throughout the process.
This position will report into a Research Investigator in our DEL group and will be located at our headquarters in New Haven, CT.
Key responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Synthesis, purification and characterization of DNA Encoded Libraries (DEL) in line with project, departmental and corporate timelines
- Application of synthetic chemistry knowledge and skills to evaluate reagents for DEL synthesis on DNA and carry out DNA ligation reactions to incorporate the DNA tags.
- Apply automated synthesis skills using Tecan liquid handler to make DEL’s.
- Analyze, interpret, and report experimental results at chemistry and program meetings.
- Maintain detailed records of experiments in electronic lab notebooks in line with company policy
- Contribute to conceptions, presentations, publications, and patents
- Maintain a knowledge of literature related to areas of research
- Direct experience with DNA encoded library techniques is a strong plus
- Strong knowledge of traditional and contemporary synthetic chemistry-related scientific and technological principles and literature
- Hands on experience with automated synthesis (combinatorial synthesis, DNA, peptide, Tecan liquid handler) techniques and equipment is a plus
- Maintains accountability for ensuring own goals and those of the team are achieved
- Maintains orderly and timely record of experiments and results in accordance with company policy and legal requirements
- Writes procedures/protocols and professional/technical reports and writes scientific articles, publications and patents as required
- Maintains safe working environment for self and others
- Ability to work safely with potentially hazardous chemicals
- Ability to summarize and transparently present work status in group settings
- A successful candidate will have an enabling attitude, be a problem solver and have a desire to work in a collaborative manner with peers and pan-disciplinary colleagues in a project setting
- A BS/MS synthetic chemist with >5 years of pharma/biotech-based experience
- BS/MS synthetic chemist with >5 years of pharma/biotech-based experience
Arvinas is proud to offer a competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness, and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision, and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, and much more. To learn more about Arvinas, please visit www.arvinas.com.
Arvinas is an Equal Opportunity Employer.